Are PnP-only Kickstarters a new trend on the platform? Lots have been launched recently it seems, and there are a couple of new publishers doing only PnP games on crowdfunding sites. It saves shipping costs, gives ear-immediate delivery after the campaign wraps, and allows small add-ons without breaking the bank – seems like a panacea to those who don’t mind putting a little construction effort in. Plus no chasing endless stretch goals for updated components, which I find often put too *much* bling into some games.
There is even a print & Play/ Roll and Write of a game that only came out a month or so ago. https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/375408/woodcraft-roll-and-write
Just some I’ve come across in just the last couple of weeks:
- http://kck.st/3VLhoJz Find the Source – Investigate, fight and hack to find the Source and save humanity! A roll’n’write co-op cyberpunk adventure for 1-3 players
- https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/noboxgames/spies-0 – a spy thriller with hidden movement
- https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dicepen/roll-and-rails – a roll & write crayon rails style track-laying & pick up and deliver game
- https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/marcosalogni/rrandw-a-robotic-roll-and-write-game – a robot-building game
- https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wayfarerstale/a-wayfarers-tale-0 – a beautifully illustrated (but fairly basic) roll & write of exploration, treasure hunting, and avoiding monsters
Most of these have finished but you can still late pledge or go to the websites to get yourselves a print file.
Plus the company Postmark Games, which appears to be doing ONLY print & play games:
- The already delivered Voyages: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/postmarkgames/voyages
- Its sequel, Aquamarine: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/postmarkgames/aquamarine
They all have pretty much just one pledge level, which is usually around £5/$5/€5, so have a low funding goal, which they inevitably reach pretty quickly, and end up doing pretty well, and “delivery” (of the PDFs) is usually very soon after the KS wraps.